Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Welcome to My New Blog!!

I am anxious to share what my students are currently doing in third grade. If you are like me, I am always thrilled to find out what other teachers are trying and implementing within their classrooms on a daily basis. My students are writing biographies on the historical figures whom they are learning about in the Social Studies curriculum. I believe that it is critical to tie my writing across the curriculum with the core subject areas: Social Studies, Science, and Reading.

2 comments:

kindredspirit2 said...

Excellent blog! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Writing about historical characters help bring the people to life. Have you ever had your students try writing to themselves when they are older? Can you imagine what a third-grade Linda would tell the Linda of ages 16, 18, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 75, 100, or 29 years and 364 days? In each letter, the third-grader would tell the older them a little about themselves and then what they would imagine what they would be like at the older age. It would also include advice to the older one.

Then each letter is put in a sealed envelope with the name and the date of the corresponding birthday. The letters would go into a special box and the letters would be opened one at a time only on that special date.

I hope I have explained the concept well. You can even have just one date, let's say when they turn 18. I did this with my youth group and was very surprised at the results.

Thank you for sharing your blog with the rest of the world.

Teaching Enthusiast said...

Thanks for your encouraging comments! Now that it is summer break...I hope to elaborate and share more about what we have been up to in the classroom this year. Your idea about the autobiography is a cute idea! It would make for a fun project to even do at the beginning of the year for themself at the age they will be at the end of the school year...due to be opened the last week of school. For them just to see how they have grown and changed in just one school year....I think I am going to try this...thanks for the inspiration!